Prospective DBG Graduate Students

We are receiving many inquiries about PhD studies in the DBG and appreciate the interest in our group. I cannot respond to all email inquiries because I am on sabbatical, but let me list the traits of successful applicants to our lab to better inform candidates about their chances:

A. All the applicants have good grades, but at SEAS you probably need to have a GPA >3.5 to be competitive

B. Successful applicants usually have 2+ years of research experience and their name on an abstract or paper. For applicants with industrial experience, the applications are looked at a bit differently….the important thing is that you first lab experience is not in graduate school….and that by the time you get here, you know your way around a lab.

C. Generally, the typical BME curriculum is not adequate preparation for graduate studies in engineering at Harvard. Extensive coursework in mathematics, mechanics (fluid and solid), and control theory is looked upon favorably. I want to stress that partial differential equations should be a course you take before matriculating at SEAS.

D. Your application to Harvard should state specifically which laboratories you are interested in working in, listed by name of the PI. Its the only way to make sure your application is reviewed by a PI.

E. If you email me, send me your CV with your references listed. I do my own checks and if you look like a match, I will call you for a phone interview and I will call your references…so have their contact information on our CV.

I hope this helps and good luck in your applications!

Prof Parker

Grp_photo_Jan 2014_305W_230H

What's New

Welcome back, Professor Shin! July 18th, 2016

The DBG would like to welcome Professor Kwanwoo Shin who is visiting us from Sogang University in Seoul, Korea. Professor Shin is the Chair of the Department of Chemistry and the Director of the Institute of Biological Interfaces. We are grateful for our continued collaboration and partnership with Professor Shin and his lab!

Welcome, Summer Students! July 18th, 2016

The DBG would like to extend a warm welcome to the new undergraduate students working in the lab this summer:

Beom Jin An – West Point

Natalie Nepa – West Point

Kenneth Sims – West Point

Alexandra Bell – West Point

Zachary Riggenback – West Point

Oscar Deal – West Point

Joseph Schlessinger – West Point

Madeline Dahl – Bunker Hill Community College

Daniel Villarreal – Bunker Hill Community College

Brian Fountaine – Northeastern University

Aviv Preminger – Weslyan University

Nikita Budnik – McGill University

Lauren Dickinson – Hendrix College

Welcome to the DBG! June 20th, 2016

We would like to welcome two new members to the DBG team. Michael Rosnach joins us as an Industrial Design Fellow. He holds a BFA in Animation, an MFA in Painting, and a post graduate certificate in Industrial Design. Jack Zhou is a recent graduate of Harvard with an S.B. in Engineering Sciences, Bioengineering Track. Welcome, Michael & Jack – we are excited to have you with us!

Welcome Louise! February 16th, 2016

The DBG would like to welcome Louise Lagendijk, who joined the group in January.  Louise is a physician and researcher from The Netherlands, and we are excited to have her with us!

The latest on our Art & Science Collaboration November 16th, 2015

Check out this article from artfixdaily.com for the latest news on our collaboration with artist Carla Ciuffo: http://www.artfixdaily.com/artwire/release/9911-harvard-visiting-artist-carla-ciuffo-merges-art-with-cutting-edge