Prospective DBG Graduate Students

We are receiving many inquiries about PhD studies in the DBG and appreciate the interest in our group. I cannot respond to all email inquiries because I am on sabbatical, but let me list the traits of successful applicants to our lab to better inform candidates about their chances:

A. All the applicants have good grades, but at SEAS you probably need to have a GPA >3.5 to be competitive

B. Successful applicants usually have 2+ years of research experience and their name on an abstract or paper. For applicants with industrial experience, the applications are looked at a bit differently….the important thing is that you first lab experience is not in graduate school….and that by the time you get here, you know your way around a lab.

C. Generally, the typical BME curriculum is not adequate preparation for graduate studies in engineering at Harvard. Extensive coursework in mathematics, mechanics (fluid and solid), and control theory is looked upon favorably. I want to stress that partial differential equations should be a course you take before matriculating at SEAS.

D. Your application to Harvard should state specifically which laboratories you are interested in working in, listed by name of the PI. Its the only way to make sure your application is reviewed by a PI.

E. If you email me, send me your CV with your references listed. I do my own checks and if you look like a match, I will call you for a phone interview and I will call your references…so have their contact information on our CV.

I hope this helps and good luck in your applications!

Prof Parker

Grp_photo_Jan 2014_305W_230H

What's New

Congratulations to Dr. Hemphill!! June 1st, 2015

Matthew Hemphill was hooded as part of the Harvard Commencement Exercises last week! Matt completed his doctorate last calendar year and is now a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Pennsylvania Department of Bioengineering. Congrats Matt!

BBQ Smoker Complete May 9th, 2015

Folks, we have completed the ultimate BBQ smoker. Here is the link to some of the early press coverage.

Boston Globe Article

Standby for more.

Prof Parker

Welcome, New Fellows! May 9th, 2015

The DBG would like to welcome our newest Post-Doctoral Fellows to the team. Dr. Arun Shrivats completed his Ph.D. at Carnegie Mellon University and joins us after a brief period in industry. Dr. Alanna Gannon completed her Ph.D. at Trinity College, University of Dublin. Dr. Dong-Hwee Kim joins us after completing his doctoral studies at Johns Hopkins University. Ben Pope joins us from Florida where he received his Ph.D. from Florida State University. Welcome to the DBG!

Welcome to the DBG!! May 8th, 2015

2015 sees the arrival of one new researcher to the DBG team and the return of one researcher. Mary Kate Macedonia joins us from Case Western University. Kevin Murphy returns to the DBG after some time in the NFL. Maeve Gilmartin also joins us from Galway, Ireland and will work as our new Research Project Administrator. Welcome everybody!

Congratulations! January 24th, 2015

Congratulations to David Boyle on his retirement from Harvard!! Thank you, David, for your years of service to Harvard and to the DBG and good luck in your future endeavors. You will be missed!!