Prospective DBG Graduate Students

We are receiving many inquiries about PhD studies in the DBG and appreciate the interest in our group. I cannot respond to all email inquiries because I am on sabbatical, but let me list the traits of successful applicants to our lab to better inform candidates about their chances:

A. All the applicants have good grades, but at SEAS you probably need to have a GPA >3.5 to be competitive

B. Successful applicants usually have 2+ years of research experience and their name on an abstract or paper. For applicants with industrial experience, the applications are looked at a bit differently….the important thing is that you first lab experience is not in graduate school….and that by the time you get here, you know your way around a lab.

C. Generally, the typical BME curriculum is not adequate preparation for graduate studies in engineering at Harvard. Extensive coursework in mathematics, mechanics (fluid and solid), and control theory is looked upon favorably. I want to stress that partial differential equations should be a course you take before matriculating at SEAS.

D. Your application to Harvard should state specifically which laboratories you are interested in working in, listed by name of the PI. Its the only way to make sure your application is reviewed by a PI.

E. If you email me, send me your CV with your references listed. I do my own checks and if you look like a match, I will call you for a phone interview and I will call your references…so have their contact information on our CV.

I hope this helps and good luck in your applications!

Prof Parker

Grp_photo_Jan 2014_305W_230H

What's New

Congratulations to Parker Lab Post-doc Johan Lind, Ph.D., on the publication of his Heart-on-a-Chip paper in Nature Materials on October 24! October 25th, 2016

Robotic Stingray wins Popular Science “Best of What’s New” Award October 19th, 2016

Congratulations to Professor Kit Parker and Sung-Jin Park on the Robotic Stingray being named a winner in the Engineering Category of Popular Science’s “Best of What’s New” 2016.  Read more here.
ray

Photo courtesy of Karaghen Hudson and Michael Rosnach

Senator Susan Collins Visits the DBG October 14th, 2016

The DBG had the pleasure of hosting United States Senator Susan Collins of Maine for a tour of the lab on October 13, 2016.  Pictured below are (clockwise from top left) :  Senator Collins with DBG Veterans Ian Perkins, John Doyle, Brian Fountaine, Alex Cho, John Ferrier, and Madeleine Dahl, DBG Artist in Residence Karaghen Hudson, and DBG Visiting Scholar General Michael D. Phillips, USA (Ret); Senator Collins with Professor Kit Parker;  Senator Collins with PhD Student Andrew Capulli; Senator Collins with Post Doctoral Fellow Alanna Gannon.

image1

Tongue-on-a-chip October 4th, 2016

Congratulations to Parker Lab Ph.D. student Peyton Nesmith on the publication of  “A human in vitro model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy muscle formation and contractility” in the October 3 issue of The Journal of Cell Biology.  Read more about the importance of this research here.

TongueChip_V3_KHudson

Illustration by Karaghen Hudson

General Daniel B. Allyn visits the DBG September 14th, 2016

The DBG had the pleasure of hosting General Daniel B. Allyn, Vice Chief of Staff of the US Army, for a tour of the lab on September 14, 2016.  Pictured here with General Allyn are (left to right) lab members and Veterans Ian Perkins (USA), Angie Greer (USA), Ben Maoz (IDF), General Allyn, Prof. Kit Parker (LTC, Reserves), John Ferrier (USAF), Alex Cho (USMC), and BG Michael Phillips USA (Ret.).

_groupphoto1