Prospective DBG Graduate Students

We are receiving many inquiries about PhD studies in the DBG and appreciate the interest in our group. I cannot respond to all email inquiries because I am on sabbatical, but let me list the traits of successful applicants to our lab to better inform candidates about their chances:

A. All the applicants have good grades, but at SEAS you probably need to have a GPA >3.5 to be competitive

B. Successful applicants usually have 2+ years of research experience and their name on an abstract or paper. For applicants with industrial experience, the applications are looked at a bit differently….the important thing is that you first lab experience is not in graduate school….and that by the time you get here, you know your way around a lab.

C. Generally, the typical BME curriculum is not adequate preparation for graduate studies in engineering at Harvard. Extensive coursework in mathematics, mechanics (fluid and solid), and control theory is looked upon favorably. I want to stress that partial differential equations should be a course you take before matriculating at SEAS.

D. Your application to Harvard should state specifically which laboratories you are interested in working in, listed by name of the PI. Its the only way to make sure your application is reviewed by a PI.

E. If you email me, send me your CV with your references listed. I do my own checks and if you look like a match, I will call you for a phone interview and I will call your references…so have their contact information on our CV.

I hope this helps and good luck in your applications!

Prof Parker

Grp_photo_Jan 2014_305W_230H

What's New

Welcome to the DBG!! February 26th, 2015

2015 sees the arrival of one new researcher to the DBG team and the return of one researcher. Mary Kate Macedonia joins us from Case Western University. Kevin Murphy returns to the DBG after some time in the NFL. We are excited to have both of them on the team!

Welcome to New Fellows! February 26th, 2015

The DBG would like to welcome our three newest Post-Doctoral Fellows to the team. Dr. Arun Shrivats completed his Ph.D. at Carnegie Mellon University and joins us after a brief period in industry. Dr. Alanna Gannon completed her Ph.D. at Trinity College. Dr. Dong-Hwee Kim joins us after completing his doctoral studies at Johns Hopkins University. Welcome to the DBG!

Congratulations! January 24th, 2015

Congratulations to David Boyle on his retirement from Harvard!! Thank you, David, for your years of service to Harvard and to the DBG and good luck in your future endeavors. You will be missed!!

Congratulations to Megan McCain September 4th, 2014

Megan McCain has been named as a Technology Review TR35, the “35 innovators under 35″ who are changing the world. Megan’s received this distinguished honor for her current work at USC and at the DBG in developing a “heart-on-a-chip”. To read more about the TR35, click here.

Summer Researchers – Many thanks for all your efforts!! August 26th, 2014

The DBG would like to thank all of our Summer Researchers who contributed to our research this summer and when disaster struck during torrential rains and the lab flooded, they came to help rescue our equipment and supplies. We had several REU students, cadets from West Point, HU undergraduates and in coming undergraduates, plus a couple of high school students. Thanks for all your efforts.