70. Pasqualini FS, Sheehy SP, Agarwal A, Aratyn-Schaus Y, Parker KK. Structural Phenotyping of Stem Cell Derived Cardiomyocytes. Stem Cell Reports, 2015 [Epub ahead of print] Downloadable content: ImageJ script for the analysis of confocal images from differentiated , immature and mature neonate rat cardiomyocytes as well as hiPS-derived cardiomyocytes.
69. Golecki HM, Yuan H, Glavin C, Potter B, Badrossamay MR, Goss JA, Phillips MD, Parker KK. Effect of solvent evaporation on fiber morphology in rotary jet spinning. Langmuir. 2014 Nov 11;30(44):13369-74.
68. Ye GJ, Nesmith AP, Parker KK.The role of mechanotransduction on vascular smooth muscle myocytes cytoskeleton and contractile function. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2014 Sep;297(9):1758-69.
67. Nesmith AP, Agarwal A, McCain ML, Parker KK. Human airway musculature on a chip: an in vitro model of allergic asthmatic bronchoconstriction and bronchodilation. Lab Chip, 2014, 14, 3925-3936.
66. Capulli AK, Tian K, Mehandru N, Bukhta A,, Choudhury SF, Suchyta M and Parker KK. Approaching the in vitro clinical trial: engineering organs on chips Lab Chip, 2014, 14, 3181 [Epub ahead of print]
65. Wang G, McCain ML, Yang L, He A, Pasqualini FS, Agarwal A, Yuan H, Jiang D, Zhang D, Zangi L, Geva J, Roberts AE, Ma Q, Ding J, Chen J, Wang DZ, Li K, Wang J, Wanders RJ, Kulik W, Vaz FM, Laflamme MA, Murry CE, Chien KR, Kelley RI, Church GM, Parker KK, Pu WT. Modeling the mitochondrial cardiomyopathy of Barth syndrome with induced pluripotent stem cell and heart-on-chip technologies. Nat Med. 2014 May 11. doi: 10.1038/nm.3545. [Epub ahead of print]
64. McCain ML, Yuan H, Pasqualini FS, Campbell PH, Parker KK. Matrix elasticity regulates the optimal cardiac myocyte shape for contractility. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. Jun 2014,306(11)H1525-H1539;DOI: 10.1152/ajpheart.00799.2013.
63. McCain ML, Agarwal A, Nesmith HW, Nesmith AP, Parker KK. Micromolded gelatin hydrogels for extended culture of engineered cardiac tissues Biomaterials. 2014 Apr 11. pii: S0142-9612(14)00312-3. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2014.03.052. [Epub ahead of print]
62. Sheehy SP, Pasqualini F, Grosberg A, Park SJ, Yvonne Aratyn-Schaus Y, Parker KK. Quality Metrics for Stem Cell-Derived Cardiac Myocytes. Stem Cell Reports. 2014 Mar;2(3):282-294.
61. Badrossamay MR, Balachandran K, Capulli AK, Golecki HM, Agarwal A, Goss JA, Kim H, Shin K, Parker KK. Engineering hybrid polymer-protein super-aligned nanofibers via rotary jet spinning. Biomaterials. 2014 Mar;35(10):3188-97.
60. Mosadegh B, Dabiri BE, Lockett MR, Derda R, Campbell P, Parker KK and Whitesides GM. Three-Dimensional Paper-Based Model for Cardiac Ischemia. Adv. Healthc. Mater. 2014; (3) 2
59. Deravi LF, Magyar AP, Sheehy SP, Bell GRR, Mäthger LM, Senfta SL, Wardill TJ, Lane WS, Kuzirian AM, Hanlon RT, Hu EL, and Parker KK. The structure–function relationships of a natural nanoscale photonic device in cuttlefish chromatophores. J. R. Soc. Interface 11: 20130942.
58. Ye GJC, Aratyn-Schaus Y, Nesmith AP, Pasqualini FS, Alford, PW, and Parker KK. The contractile strength of vascular smooth muscle myocytes is shape dependent. Integr. Biol., 2014; 6: 152-163
57. Deravi LF, Golecki HM, and Parker KK. Protein-Based Textiles: Bio-Inspired and Bio-Derived Materials for Medical and Non-Medical Applications. J. Chem. Biol. Interfaces. 2013; 1(1): 25-34
56. Agarwal A, Goss JA, Cho A, McCain ML and Parker KK. Microfluidic heart on a chip for higher throughput pharmacological studies. Lab on a Chip. 2013; 13(18): 3599–608
55. McCain ML, Sheehy SP, Grosberg A, Goss JA, and Parker KK.
Recapitulating maladaptive, multiscale remodeling of failing myocardium on a chip. PNAS. 2013; 110: 9770-9775.
54. Agarwal A, Farouz Y, Nesmith AP, Deravi LF, McCain ML, Parker KK. Micropatterning Alginate Substrates for In Vitro Cardiovascular Muscle on a Chip.. Adv. Funct. Mater. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2013; 23(30): 3738–46.
53. Nawroth JC, Parker KK. Design standards for engineered tissues. Biotechnol Adv. 2012 Dec 23. doi:pii: S0734-9750(12)00198-X. 10.1016/j.biotechadv.2012.12.005. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23267860.
52. Kuo P, Lee H, Bray MA, Geisse NA, Huang YT, Adams WJ, Sheehy SP, Parker KK. Myocyte shape regulates lateral registry of sarcomeres and contractility. Am. J. Pathol. 2012; 181(6):2030-7.
51. Deravi LF, Su T, Paten JA, Ruberti, JW, Bertoldi K, Parker KK. Differential Contributions of Conformation Extension and Domain Unfolding to Properties of Fibronectin Nanotexiles. Nano Letters. 2012; 12 (11):5587–5592.
50. Nawroth JC, Lee H, Feinberg AW, Ripplinger CM, McCain ML, Grosberg A, Dabiri JO, Parker KK. A tissue-engineered jellyfish with biomimetic propulsion. Nat Biotechnol. 2012;30;792-797.
49. Dabiri BE, Lee H, Parker KK. A potential role for integrin signaling in mechanoelectrical feedback. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2012; 110: 196–203.
48. Sheehy SP, Grosberg A, Parker KK. The contribution of cellular mechanotransduction to cardiomyocyte form and function. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2012; 11: 1227-1239.
47. McCain ML, Lee H, Aratyn-Schaus Y, Kléber AG, Parker KK. Cooperative coupling of cell-matrix and cell-cell adhesions in cardiac muscle. PNAS. 2012;109:9881-9886.
46. Feinberg AW, Alford PW, Jin H, Ripplinger CM, Werdich AA, Sheehy SP, Grosberg A, Parker KK. Controlling the contractile strength of engineered cardiac muscle by hierarchal tissue architecture. Biomaterials. 2012;33:5732-5741.
45. Beauchamp P, Desplantez T, McCain ML, Li W, Asimaki A, Rigoli G, Parker KK, Saffitz JE, Kleber AG. Electrical Coupling and Propagation in Engineered Ventricular Myocardium With Heterogeneous Expression of Connexin43. Circ Res. 2012;110:1445-1453.
44. Grosberg A, Nesmith AP, Goss JA, Brigham MD, McCain ML, Parker KK. Muscle on a chip: In vitro contractility assays for smooth and striated muscle. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2012;65:126-135.
43. Desplantez T, McCain ML, Beauchamp P, Rigoli G, Rothen-Rutishauser B, Parker KK, Kleber AG. Connexin43 ablation in foetal atrial myocytes decreases electrical coupling, partner connexins, and sodium current. Cardiovasc Res. 2012;94:58-65.
42. Shim J, Grosberg A, Nawroth JC, Parker KK, Bertoldi K. Modeling of cardiac muscle thin films: Pre-stretch, passive and active behavior. J. Biomech. 2012;45:832-841.
41. Sheehy SP, Parker KK. The Role of Mechanical Forces in Guiding Tissue Differentiation. In: Bernstein H, editor. Tissue Engineering in Regenerative Medicine. Springer; 2011:77-97.
40. Balachandran K, Alford PW, Wylie-Sears J, Goss JA, Grosberg A, Bischoff J, Aikawa E, Levine RA, Parker KK. Cyclic strain induces dual-mode endothelial-mesenchymal transformation of the cardiac valve. PNAS. 2011;108:19943-19948.
39. McCain ML, Desplantez T, Geisse NA, Rothen-Rutishauser B, Oberer H, Parker KK, Kleber AG. Cell-to-cell coupling in engineered pairs of rat ventricular cardiomyocytes: relation between Cx43 immunofluorescence and intercellular electrical conductance. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012;302:H443-H450.
38. Mellado P, McIlwee HA, Badrossamay MR, Goss JA, Mahadevan L, Parker KK. A simple model for nanofiber formation by rotary jet-spinning. Appl Phys Lett. 2011;99:203107.
37. Grosberg A, Alford PW, McCain ML, Parker KK. Ensembles of engineered cardiac tissues for physiological and pharmacological study: Heart on a chip. Lab Chip. 2011;11(24):4165-4173.
36. Alford PW, Nesmith AP, Seywerd, JN, Grosberg A, Parker KK. Vascular smooth muscle contractility depends on cell shape. Integr. Biol. 2011;3(11):1063-1070.
35. Dvir T, Timko BP, Brigham MD, Naik SR, Karajanagi SS, Levy O, Jin H, Parker KK, Langer R, Kohane DS. Nanowired three-dimensional cardiac patches. Nat Nanotechnol. 2011;6:720-725.
34. Hemphill MA, Dabiri BE, Gabriele S, Kerscher L, Franck C, Goss JA, Alford PW, Parker KK. A possible role for integrin signaling in diffuse axonal injury. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22899.
33. Alford PW, Dabiri BE, Goss JA, Hemphill MA, Brigham MD, Parker KK. Blast-induced phenotypic switching in cerebral vasospasm. PNAS. 2011;108:12705-12710
32. McCain ML, Parker KK. Mechanotransduction: the role of mechanical stress, myocyte shape, and cytoskeletal architecture on cardiac function. Pflugers Arch – Eur J Physiol. 2011;462:89–104.
31. Grosberg A, Kuo P-L, Guo C-L, Geisse NA, Bray M-A, Adams WJ, Sheehy SP, Parker KK. Self-organization of muscle cell structure and function. PLoS Comput Biol. 2011;7:e1001088.
30. Pong T, Adams WJ, Bray MA, Feinberg AW, Sheehy SP, Werdich AA, Parker KK. Hierarchical architecture influences calcium dynamics in engineered cardiac muscle. Exp Biol Med. 2011;236:366-373
29. Vandeparre H, Gabriele S, Brau F, Gay C, Parker KK, Damman P. Hierarchical wrinkling patterns. Soft Matter. 2010;6:5751-5756.
28. Bray MA, Adams WJ, Geisse NA, Feinberg AW, Sheehy SP, Parker KK. Nuclear morphology and deformation in engineered cardiac myocytes and tissues. Biomaterials. 2010;31:5143-5150.
27. Badrossamay MR, McIlwee HA, Goss JA, Parker KK. Nanofiber assembly by rotary jet spinning. Nanoletters. 2010;10:2257-2261.
26. Feinberg AW, Parker KK. Surface-initiated assembly of protein nanofabrics. Nanoletters. 2010;10:2184-2191.
25. Göktepe S, Abilez OJ, Parker KK, Kuhl E. A multiscale model for eccentric and concentric cardiac growth through sarcomerogenesis. J Theor Biol. 2010;265:433-442.
24. Alford PW, Feinberg AW, Sheehy SP, Parker KK. Biohybrid thin films for measuring contractility in engineered cardiovascular muscle. Biomaterials. 2010;31:3613-3621.
23. O’Grady M, Kuo P, Parker KK. Optimization of electroactive hydrogel actuators. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2010;2:343-346.
22. Domian IJ, Chiravuri M, van der Meer P, Feinberg AW, Shi X, Shao Y, Wu SM, Parker KK, Chien KR. Generation of functional ventricular heart muscle from mouse ventricular progenitor Cells. Science. 2009;326(5951):426-429. [video download, 1.6 MB]
21. Geisse NA, Sheehy SP, Parker KK.Control of myocyte remodeling in vitro with engineered substrates. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2009;45:343-350.
20. Sheehy SP, Huang S, Parker KK. Time-warped comparison of gene expression in adaptive and maladaptive cardiac hypertrophy. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2009;2:116-124.
19. Bol M, Reese S, Parker KK, Kuhl K. Computational modeling of muscular thin films for cardiac repair. Computational Mechanics. 2009;43:535-544.
18. Chien KR, Domain IJ, Parker KK. Cardiogenesis and the complex biology of regenerative cardiovascular medicine. Science. 2008;322:1494-1497. Review.
17. Parker KK, Tan J, Chen CS, Tung L. Myofibrillar architecture in engineered cardiac myocytes. Circ Res. 2008;103:340-342.
16. Bray MA, Sheehy SP, Parker KK. Sarcomere alignment is regulated by myocyte shape. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2008;65:641-651.
15. Geisse NA, Feinberg AW, Kuo P, Sheehy S, Bray MA, Parker KK. Micropatterning Approaches for Cardiac Biology. In: Khademhosseini A, Toner M, Borenstein JT, Takayama S, editors. Micro- and Nanoengineering of the Cell Microenvironment: Technologies and Applications. Boston: Artech House; 2008:341-357.
14. O’Grady ML, Parker KK. Dynamic control of protein-protein interactions. Langmuir. 2008;24:316-322.
13. Feinberg AW, Feigel A, Shevkoplyas SS, Sheehy S, Whitesides GM, Parker KK. Muscular thin films for building actuators and powering devices. Science. 2007;317:1366-1370. [video download, 11 MB]
12. Parker KK, Ingber DE. Extracellular matrix, mechanotransduction and structural hierarchies in heart tissue engineering. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2007;362:1267-1279.
11. Bray MA, Geisse NA, Parker KK. Multidimensional detection and analysis of Ca2+ sparks in cardiac myocytes. Biophys J. 2007;92:4433-4443. [source code / test data]
10. Adams WJ, Pong T, Geisse NA, Sheehy S, Parker KK. Engineering design of a cardiac myocyte. J Computer-Aided Materials Design. 2007;14:19-29.
9. Brangwynne CP, MacKintosh FC, Kumar S, Geisse NA, Talbot J, Mahadevan L, Parker KK, Ingber DE, Weitz DA. Microtubules can bear enhanced compressive loads in living cells because of lateral reinforcement. J Cell Bio. 2006;173:733-741.
8. Huang S, Brangwynne CP, Parker KK, Ingber DE. Symmetry-breaking in mammalian cell cohort migration during tissue pattern formation: role of random-walk persistence. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2005;61:201-213.
7. Parker KK, Lavelle JA, Taylor LK, Wang Z, Hansen DE. Stretch-induced ventricular arrhythmias during acute ischemia and reperfusion. J Appl Physiol. 2004;97:377-383.
6. Latimer DC, Roth BJ, Parker KK. Analytical model for predicting mechanotransduction effects in engineered cardiac tissue. Tissue Eng. 2003;9:283-289.
5. Bursac N, Parker KK, Iravanian S, Tung L. Cardiomyocyte cultures with controlled macroscopic anisotropy: a model for functional electrophysiological studies of cardiac muscle. Circ Res. 2002;91:e45-e54.
4. Parker KK, Brock AL, Brangwynne C, Mannix RJ, Wang N, Ostuni E, Geisse NA, Adams JC, Whitesides GM, Ingber DE. Directional control of lamellipodia extension by constraining cell shape and orienting cell tractional forces. FASEB J. 2002;16:1195-1204.
3. Parker KK, Taylor LK, Atkinson JB, Hansen DE, Wikswo JP. The effects of tubulin-binding agents on stretch-induced ventricular arrhythmias. Euro J Pharm. 2001;417:131-140.
2. Brangwynne C, Huang S, Parker KK, Ingber DE, Ostuni E. Symmetry breaking in cultured mammalian cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Bio. 2001;36:563-565.
1. Parker KK, Wikswo JP Jr. A model of the magnetic fields created by single motor unit compound action potentials in skeletal muscle. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 1997;44:948-957.
Welcome to the DBG!! February 26th, 2015
2015 sees the arrival of one new researcher to the DBG team and the return of one researcher. Mary Kate Macedonia joins us from Case Western University. Kevin Murphy returns to the DBG after some time in the NFL. We are excited to have both of them on the team!
Welcome to New Fellows! February 26th, 2015
The DBG would like to welcome our three newest Post-Doctoral Fellows to the team. Dr. Arun Shrivats completed his Ph.D. at Carnegie Mellon University and joins us after a brief period in industry. Dr. Alanna Gannon completed her Ph.D. at Trinity College. Dr. Dong-Hwee Kim joins us after completing his doctoral studies at Johns Hopkins University. Welcome to the DBG!
Congratulations! January 24th, 2015
Congratulations to David Boyle on his retirement from Harvard!! Thank you, David, for your years of service to Harvard and to the DBG and good luck in your future endeavors. You will be missed!!
Congratulations to Megan McCain September 4th, 2014
Megan McCain has been named as a Technology Review TR35, the “35 innovators under 35″ who are changing the world. Megan’s received this distinguished honor for her current work at USC and at the DBG in developing a “heart-on-a-chip”. To read more about the TR35, click here.
Summer Researchers – Many thanks for all your efforts!! August 26th, 2014
The DBG would like to thank all of our Summer Researchers who contributed to our research this summer and when disaster struck during torrential rains and the lab flooded, they came to help rescue our equipment and supplies. We had several REU students, cadets from West Point, HU undergraduates and in coming undergraduates, plus a couple of high school students. Thanks for all your efforts.