Congratulations to Parker Lab Post-doc Johan Lind, Ph.D., on the publication of his Heart-on-a-Chip paper in Nature Materials on October 24! October 25th, 2016
Robotic Stingray wins Popular Science “Best of What’s New” Award October 19th, 2016
Congratulations to Professor Kit Parker and Sung-Jin Park on the Robotic Stingray being named a winner in the Engineering Category of Popular Science’s “Best of What’s New” 2016. Read more here.
Photo courtesy of Karaghen Hudson and Michael Rosnach
Senator Susan Collins Visits the DBG October 14th, 2016
The DBG had the pleasure of hosting United States Senator Susan Collins of Maine for a tour of the lab on October 13, 2016. Pictured below are (clockwise from top left) : Senator Collins with DBG Veterans Ian Perkins, John Doyle, Brian Fountaine, Alex Cho, John Ferrier, and Madeleine Dahl, DBG Artist in Residence Karaghen Hudson, and DBG Visiting Scholar General Michael D. Phillips, USA (Ret); Senator Collins with Professor Kit Parker; Senator Collins with PhD Student Andrew Capulli; Senator Collins with Post Doctoral Fellow Alanna Gannon.
Tongue-on-a-chip October 4th, 2016
Congratulations to Parker Lab Ph.D. student Peyton Nesmith on the publication of “A human in vitro model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy muscle formation and contractility” in the October 3 issue of The Journal of Cell Biology. Read more about the importance of this research here.
Illustration by Karaghen Hudson
General Daniel B. Allyn visits the DBG September 14th, 2016
The DBG had the pleasure of hosting General Daniel B. Allyn, Vice Chief of Staff of the US Army, for a tour of the lab on September 14, 2016. Pictured here with General Allyn are (left to right) lab members and Veterans Ian Perkins (USA), Angie Greer (USA), Ben Maoz (IDF), General Allyn, Prof. Kit Parker (LTC, Reserves), John Ferrier (USAF), Alex Cho (USMC), and BG Michael Phillips USA (Ret.).
91. Benam KH, Novak R, Nawroth J, Hirano-Kobayashi M, Ferrante TC, Choe Y, Prantil-Baun R, Weaver JC, Bahinski A, Parker KK, Ingber DE. Matched-Comparative Modeling of Normal and Diseased Human Airway Responses Using a Microengineered Breathing Lung Chip. Cell Systems. 27 October 2016. doi:10.1016/j.cels.2016.10.003 [Epub ahead of print].
90. Lind JU, Busbee TA, Valentine AD, Pasqualini FS, Yuan H, Yadid M, Park SJ, Kotikian A, Nesmith AP, Campbell PH, Vlassak JJ, Lewis JA, Parker KK. Instrumented cardiac microphysiological devices via multimaterial three-dimensional printing. Nature Materials. 24 October 2016; doi: 10.1038/nmat4782.
89. Gonzalez GM, MacQueen LA, Lind JU, Fitzgibbons SA, Chantre CO, Huggler I, Golecki HM, Goss JA, Parker KK. Production of synthetic, para-aramid and biopolymer nanofibers by immersion rotary jet-spinning. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering. 7 October 2016; doi: 10.1002/mame.201600365 [Epub ahead of print].
88. Pasqualini FS, Emmert MY, Parker KK, Hoerstrup SP. Organ Chips: Quality Assurance Systems in Regenerative Medicine. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2016 Oct 6. doi: 10.1002/cpt.527. [Epub ahead of print]
87. Nesmith, AP, Wagner MA, Pasqualini FS, O’Connor BB, Pincus MJ, August PR, Parker KK. A human in vitro model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy muscle formation and contractility. The Journal of Cell Biology. 3 October 2016; doi: 10.1083/jcb.201603111.
86. Chal J, Tanoury ZA, Hestin M, Gobert B, Aivio S,Hick A,Cherrier T, Nesmith AP, Parker KK, Pourquié O. Generation of human muscle fibers and satellite-like cells from human pluripotent stem cells in vitro. Nature Protocols. 1 September 2016; doi:10.1038/nprot.2016.110
85. Park SJ, Gazzola M, Park KS, Park S, DiSanto V, Blevins EL, Lind JU, Campbell PH, Dauth S, Capulli AK, Pasqualini FS, Ahn S, Cho A, Yuan H, Maoz BM, Vijaykumar R, Choi JW, Deisseroth K, Lauder GV, Mahadevan L, Parker KK. Phototactic guidance of a tissue-engineered soft-robotic ray. Science. 2016 July 8; doi: 10.1126/science.aaf4292