Robotic Stingray wins Popular Science “Best of What’s New” Award October 19th, 2016
Congratulations to Professor Kit Parker and Sung-Jin Park on the Robotic Stingray being named a winner in the Engineering Category of Popular Science’s “Best of What’s New” 2016. Read more here.
Photo courtesy of Karaghen Hudson and Michael Rosnach
Senator Susan Collins Visits the DBG October 14th, 2016
The DBG had the pleasure of hosting United States Senator Susan Collins of Maine for a tour of the lab on October 13, 2016. Pictured below are (clockwise from top left) : Senator Collins with DBG Veterans Ian Perkins, John Doyle, Brian Fountaine, Alex Cho, John Ferrier, and Madeleine Dahl, DBG Artist in Residence Karaghen Hudson, and DBG Visiting Scholar General Michael D. Phillips, USA (Ret); Senator Collins with Professor Kit Parker; Senator Collins with PhD Student Andrew Capulli; Senator Collins with Post Doctoral Fellow Alanna Gannon.
Tongue-on-a-chip October 4th, 2016
Congratulations to Parker Lab Ph.D. student Peyton Nesmith on the publication of “A human in vitro model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy muscle formation and contractility” in the October 3 issue of The Journal of Cell Biology. Read more about the importance of this research here.
Illustration by Karaghen Hudson
General Daniel B. Allyn visits the DBG September 14th, 2016
The DBG had the pleasure of hosting General Daniel B. Allyn, Vice Chief of Staff of the US Army, for a tour of the lab on September 14, 2016. Pictured here with General Allyn are (left to right) lab members and Veterans Ian Perkins (USA), Angie Greer (USA), Ben Maoz (IDF), General Allyn, Prof. Kit Parker (LTC, Reserves), John Ferrier (USAF), Alex Cho (USMC), and BG Michael Phillips USA (Ret.).
Thank you summer students! August 30th, 2016
Thank you to all the undergraduate students who spent time working in the lab over the summer. We wish you all the best this school year!
|Alex Cho, Northeastern University|
|Alexandra Bell, United States Military Academy at West Point|
|Aviv Preminger, Weslyan University|
|Beom Jin An, United States Military Academy at West Point|
|Brian Fountaine, Northeastern University|
|Charlie Alver, Harvard University|
|Daniel Villarreal, Bunker Hill Community College|
|Ian Perkins, Northeastern University|
|John Doyle, Bunker Hill Community College|
|Joseph Schlessinger, United States Military Academy at West Point|
|Karaghen Hudson, Harvard University|
|Kenneth Sims, United States Military Academy at West Point|
|Lauren Dickinson, Hendrix College|
|Madeleine Dahl, Bunker Hill Community College|
|Natalie Nepa, United States Military Academy at West Point|
|Nikita Budnik, McGill University|
|Oscar Deal, United States Military Academy at West Point|
|Ryan Halvorson, Harvard University|
|Sayo Eweje, Harvard University|
|Zachary Riggenbach, United States Military Academy at West Point|
87. Gonzalez GM, MacQueen LA, Lind JU, Fitzgibbons SA, Chantre CO, Huggler I, Golecki HM, Goss JA, Parker KK. Production of synthetic, para-aramid and biopolymer nanofibers by immersion rotary jet-spinning. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering. 7 October 2016; doi: .
86. Nesmith, AP, Wagner MA, Pasqualini FS, O’Connor BB, Pincus MJ, August PR, Parker KK. A human in vitro model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy muscle formation and contractility. The Journal of Cell Biology. 3 October 2016; doi: 10.1083/jcb.201603111.
85. Chal J, Tanoury ZA, Hestin M, Gobert B, Aivio S,Hick A,Cherrier T, Nesmith AP, Parker KK, Pourquié O. Generation of human muscle fibers and satellite-like cells from human pluripotent stem cells in vitro. Nature Protocols. 1 September 2016; doi:10.1038/nprot.2016.110
84. Park SJ, Gazzola M, Park KS, Park S, DiSanto V, Blevins EL, Lind JU, Campbell PH, Dauth S, Capulli AK, Pasqualini FS, Ahn S, Cho A, Yuan H, Maoz BM, Vijaykumar R, Choi JW, Deisseroth K, Lauder GV, Mahadevan L, Parker KK. Phototactic guidance of a tissue-engineered soft-robotic ray. Science. 2016 July 8; doi: 10.1126/science.aaf4292
83. Pope BD, Warren CR, Parker KK, Cowan, CA. Microenvironmental control of adipocyte fate and function. Trends in Cell Biology. 2016 June 5; doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tcb.2016.05.005 [Epub ahead of print]
82. Capulli AK, MacQueen LA, O’Connor BB, Dauth S, Parker KK. Acute pergolide exposure stiffens engineered valve interstitial cell tissues and reduced contractility in vitro. Cardiovascular Pathology. 2016 Apr 25; 25(4):316-324. doi: 10.1016/j.carpath.2016.04.004. [Epub ahead of print]
81. Capulli AK, MacQueen LA, Sheehy SP, Parker KK. Fibrous scaffolds for building hearts and heart parts. Adv. drug delivery reviews. 2016 Jan 15. 96, 83-102. doi:10.1016/j.addr.2015.11.020